I am a hypocrite. I am not a huge fan of wearing shoes, as soon as I get to work and at my desk-the shoes come off. I appreciate cute shoes, but really prefer to be barefoot whenever I can. This morning as we were driving to school, Hadley is in the back seat trying to take off her shoes, and I tell her that she better keep her shoes on! Then I am struck with guilt. I get it, I don’t like shoes either, but here I am scolding her for doing exactly what I do all the time…this is parenting, telling your children NOT to engage in all the “bad habits” you have picked up…
Last night’s beef stroganoff in the crock pot was a success, we both liked it- it’s a keeper.
Hadley found her baby doll and stroller for the first time in a while last night. I thought I was helping her by putting the baby in the stroller, but Hadley didn’t like it. She insisted on taking the baby out, or at least whining in such a way that communicated to me “take this baby out of here, now!” Once I did that she showed me how the baby should ride in the stroller by simply placing her on top of it. What was I thinking?!? The baby doll was a nice change from puzzles and books. She is getting to be pretty demanding. Last night we read about 8 books back to back. If Hadley brings me a book and I don’t sit down, put her in my lap and start reading immediately- she proceeds to have a fit. A fit in which brings her to her knees crawling and then a full on tantrum in which she throws herself down on the ground (umm...this brings back a few too many flashbacks from my own childhood- I could throw a tantrum with best of them), I hate to laugh at her when she is so upset, but it really is so dramatic and pathetic all at the same time.
After bath and bottle and getting Hadley down by 6:15, I decided it was finally time to watch Black Swan which has been on my DVR for two weeks, a perk of the free weekend of HBO Dish Network gave me not that long ago. I am not sure what I was expecting. I mean I knew it was pretty critically acclaimed and I knew I love Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis like A LOT, and that is was going to be “dark.” It was pretty good, and it was also pretty disturbing. It was intense, but I guess the counselor in me really liked the portrayal of psychosis and neurosis can affect a person. It’s a movie that I think sticks in your brain for a few days and just kind of marinades. As I am typing this I am thinking how in a lot of ways it reminds me of Fight Club…it also makes me think about the whole world of dance and/or gymnastics can really mess with girls’ and young women’s’ minds, self image, etc. It’s a crazy world- that is for sure, just watch Dance Moms (which comes on tonight-yay!)
Hadley got her first Scholastic book order at school yesterday- I am SUPER excited about it. I loved book orders as a kid, and as a former teacher I LOVE them for my book obsessed daughter!
Today is day two of Hadley’s Valentine’s Day outfits. I love this little shirt, it’s pretty cute. Yesterday at school Hadley went through three outfits. I literally have to pack 5-6 outfits in her bag each week to ensure she has enough change of clothes-so I am sure she won’t be wearing it when I pick her up this afternoon. After a few days of not wanting to fight a 13 month old, I attempted the pigtail battle again today- clearly I won. However, that was only after she started crawling around in an attempt to escape me. I wish she understood as I told her that when she does that it makes me pull her hair, which doesn’t feel good, but she doesn’t seem to care too much about logic!
Here is today’s portion of 50 questions…
26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones? Neither, but if I HAD to choose, I would much rather keep the memories I have. With technology these days it seems as if I would be able to document everything new and perhaps I may not be able to attach sentimental value to it, I would at least be able to “relive” the newer memories over and over again.
27. Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first? Yes, there are some things that are absolute truth…
28. Has your greatest fear ever come true? Yes, my greatest fear was to have a child that would have to know the reality of divorced parents, and really to go through a divorce myself, but it happened and I survived.
29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now? Really five years ago my life was so carefree. I was a single teacher two years out of college. I had several things that caused drama, but in the long run none of it matters now. That is what I tell my students pretty much every day, the things that upset us SO MUCH right now, really won’t matter much, in a few weeks, months, or years.
30. What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special? When I think about my childhood I think about my backyard, in the first house I ever lived in. I feel like we did a lot out there. It makes me think of swinging, my play house, kiddie pools, getting my first dog Kerri, eating ham roll ups under the tree in the backyard with my mom and napping outside. It was simple and just happy.
Droning It In
1 day ago











No comments:
Post a Comment