CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
This blog originally was intended to be a picture of the day blog; however, it has seemed to morph into a journal of sorts, it is mostly about Hadley and her daily happenings, but since I am writing it- you get a bit of me every once in a while too. I hope you enjoy reading about our lives!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Oh my goodness, yesterday was a long day. It is officially scheduling season, one of the more hectic times of year in the counseling office. I know that a lot of the outside world thinks all we do is scheduling, but that isn’t true, it is only one small portion of what I do on a daily basis, and while it can be stressful, it is one my favorite parts of the job. I know that sounds crazy, but it is during this time I really get to know the kids. We talk about their plans, what they are interested in, basically map out where they are headed. Yesterday alone I visited with close to 30 kids, that’s pretty awesome- it’s a great time to build rapport, especially with the kids that had the other counselor for the past 2 years. Luckily for me, I am a person that thrives on stress, so even though when I stop and think about it I feel incredibly overwhelmed sometimes, in the heat of the moment, I am just working up a storm, being productive, helping kids…gotta love that. If only it were that simple, what they don’t prepare you for in graduate school, is that in a school system you have to work with other people, other people who may not like to delegate and throw things together at the last minute only to leave big messes for you to clean up, but hey it’s all in a day’s work- it all gets taken care eventually J

Yesterday I also finished reading a book we bought at that cyber bullying conference we went to. I don’t know if it is because I am not a parent or what, but I was literally crying reading it. The book was called Bullycide, and was a compilation of stories from 6 different parents recounting their tales involving situations in which their child ultimately took their own lives due to bullying. It scares me to no end. I mean these were good parents and good kids; kids are so cruel and as a parent you can’t protect your child from it all the time- that’s the scary part. I just fear when Hadley grows up, what will the world be like? Will she be picked on? Will she participate in bullying? I know as a girl, there will be days she will come home crying, I remember those days, girls can be so mean…I just hope when those days come I am ready, that I do the right thing, that I say the right thing…really I hope I am doing the right things now to lay the ground work so that she can handle those situations with grace and maturity.

After a long day of work, the best part of my day, was going to pick up Hadley only to her run to me and wrap her little arms around my neck and pull my face to hers for a kiss…I love that baby so much, sure she can test me, and often does, but she just makes every day infinitely better. I am a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment