Thanksgiving Challenge Days 18-20:
18. Music
I am thankful for music. I mean really it is so much a part of my every day. There is some sort of music playing all day at my desk, pretty much all the time we are at home, and of course in the car. Already I can tell Hadley LOVES music too. She loves to dance and clap, it really is a sight. A few weeks ago at bible study, when my leader had Hadley because she was exiled from the nursery, she took her by choir practice and said Hadley had a ball. She loves being sung to and we listen to either classical music or Adele’s 21 albums EVERY night while she drifts off to sleep. I am thankful for music and the calm and peace, as well as enjoyment; it brings to both me and Hadley.
19. My education
I am thankful for my education. I am so in love with learning and going to school, it is strange. I am so happy that I am in a field that I adore. Not only am I thankful for my education, but I am thankful to be a part of the education of students every single day. There is no greater gift than education. I am also thankful that I have been given opportunities to allow me to complete my undergraduate, master’s, and now principal certification, and of course one day the PhD program (which I was accepted to, but have put on hold in light of Hadley). I am also so thankful that I grew up in a home that valued education. My parents made sure I knew college was not an option. I have had so many inspiring teachers along the way that have pushed me and molded me into the person I am today.
20. Family
I know on day one I was thankful for my parents, but today I am including my entire extended family. My family is so not traditional. In my immediate family, I have a step brother and sister that I am not as close to as I once was which really makes me sad. We were a pretty good blended family for quite a while and then it all changed- it is better today than it has been, but not where it once was- regardless, I am thankful to have these people in my life. My mom’s parents were killed in a car crash when she was two, so she was raised by her grandparents. She is also an only child, so in the way of grandparents and aunts/uncles I am pretty limited. I have had AMAZING great aunts and uncles though and lot of cousins. I do not see my family very often, and communicate with them most through facebook, but in even a small way, they are a part of who I am. I love how diverse and cultured my family is. We range from a very conservative Baptist preacher to some left wing liberals, which is actually where I tend to fall more often than not. My dad’s family is big, but not close at all. He is one of six. However, my uncle Mike has pretty much been a constant in my life. I am thankful for he and my aunt Marsha, they have done A TON for me, Uncle Mike helped my dad make Hadley’s changing table and bought the glider for us, so they have been a big help in Hadley’s life too.
So even though I don’t see my extended family very often, I am thankful to have these special people in my life, like them or not family is who you are.
This weekend was pretty eventful. Friday night, Hadley and I just relaxed around the house and actually fell asleep pretty early, which was good since we were up again at 6AM. I got showered and ready for the day while Hadley had her morning bottle and watched Yo, Gabba, Gabba! We played for a while, Hadley took a short nap (about 20 mins), and then I had the brilliant idea to get the Christmas stuff out. It just seemed like the right time. I was taking Hadley to see Santa later that afternoon and the urge to put up my Christmas stuff was OVERWHELMING. I am weird about it, I like to put it up early because I feel like I am stressed until it up, but then I HAVE to take it down Christmas day…it’s just who I am! I didn’t put the tree up yet though, so I have some turkeys out and everything Christmas, but the tree. It’s festive!
Anyhow, we put on some Christmas music and got to decorating. Hadley was dancing along, it was precious! After the decorations were up she took a second short nap, basically because I knew we had pictures in a bit and didn’t want her to be fussy. She slept about 25 minutes, and then was up and it was time to go. I dressed her up in a Christmas outfit I scored for $2 at Once Upon A Child and we headed out the door. A photographer in the area, and parent of one of my seniors, offered these photos. She waives a sitting fee for a toy to donate to local kids, and she only offers this special two Saturdays during the year, so even though it was a little early it was a good cause. Hadley didn’t scream or cry or anything. She sat right on his lap. Granted it took her a while to smile, but that is typical. She smiles all the time, until you try to take her picture than she is just so serious. We got some great shots! I was really pleased.
By the time we got home, my mom and James had made it in. We had to run to the grocery store and I made some enchiladas for dinner, they were delicious! Sunday morning we headed to church and heard an awesome message about Heaven. After I worked Parent Pager, we headed to Mesquite for lunch. We went to Red Lobster and Hadley loved clam chowder and mash potatoes, so much so that she had a fit when I would not let her grab the mashed potatoes right off my plate (this was after she managed to get clam chowder all in her hair). After lunch, we headed to JcPenny to get Christmas card pictures and Hadley’s first birthday pictures. It was a long wait and a quick session, all of which together managed to stress everyone out. However, we got some great pictures and managed to leave happy. By the time we got home everyone was just exhausted and asleep by 8!
Droning It In
1 day ago




No comments:
Post a Comment