Thanksgiving Challenge Day 16: The camaraderie that is developed from going to Texas A&M
Being an Aggie really defines me. It kind of always has. My parents both went to A&M, my mom actually got my dad to go to A&M. My mom is also from Bryan, so I remember pretty much once a year we would go up to BCS and go to the cemetery and drive around the campus. I always knew I was going to A&M. It was the only school I applied to. Once I got there, I loved the school, but didn’t necessarily love my experience- that is UNTIL I got involved. Once I plugged into the university, I REALLY LOVED IT. I made lifelong friends, and experienced things only Aggies get to experience (i.e. dunking my Aggie Ring, Standing my way through numerous football games, going to an off-campus bonfire, practically living in the MSC, etc). It is that bond of a common culture that I love most about being an Aggie. The Aggie ring is a beacon to others that I am an Aggie and I love that in any situation one Aggie will start a conversation with another shortly after spotting the ring. I truly hope Hadley ends up at A&M, but really only want her to wind up where she is supposed to be!
As a junior and senior counselor I basically see two types of students everyday- the overachieving go getters that need my assistance in the college planning and application process or the depressed, or pregnant, or bullied, or cutting, or bad home life, or my life is awful types. It is the second type that scares me most as a mother. Since becoming a mother I think about things differently, everyone told me this would happen. I am not the typical bleeding heart that one might expect to see in a counseling office, a lot of times I tend to me the more tough love kind of counselor, if you know me well this might surprise you. Anyway, now that I have a child that will eventually be among peers in a middle school/high school setting- I worry. It is so hard to be a teenager, people are mean and hateful. I can’t protect her from it all- I guess that is why I worry the most. I mean best case scenario she will get by unscathed- that is really all I want. Today I have been really perturbed, thinking about bullying, and not just any kind of bullying, I am talking about the type that occurs when someone thinks people are his/her friend and these people do things to humiliate the person. It breaks my heart for these kids that really have no friends and will do anything to get them to like them. I guess it was on the minds of the people over at Parenthood too, because Tuesday’s episode had the exact same situation. I guess really it just makes me sad to think how desperate one can feel to want to fit in, it’s a tough world- everyone deserves to at least have one or two true friends, but for some kids they really and truly have none. I don’t know I just can’t stop thinking about how cruel it is for these kids to prey on the ones who will do anything to feel like SOMEONE likes them. I just have to hope that if you provide a loving home and are a model of how to be a friend that your child won’t have difficulty- I guess I will have to wait and see.
Speaking of bullying, today when I went to pick up my precious daughter, I had to sign another boo boo report. Evidently Hadley and another child were “fighting” over a baby doll. Since I have just posted about how much Hadley loves baby dolls this does not surprise me. I also happen to know when Hadley wants something she really wants it. Anyhow in the midst of this said fight the two babies head butt- Hadley was a little red, the other child was gashed- I knew she was hard headed! Gee, maybe I have a bully on my hands!
When we got home we played with what else, her baby dolls. She wanted to walk a lot with her stroller/walker tonight, so we literally did laps up and down the hall around her room through the kitchen, she walked a lot. She is getting pretty good at it! Tomorrow is her Thanksgiving lunch at school and I am so excited to be there. You know you miss one of those things and your child NEVER forgets it. It’s kind of a joke in my family, my mom who was a single working mother to her defense, has only missed one thing of mine in my entire life, know what it was? A Thanksgiving program in my kindergarten class- I have to remind her every year about the time she wasn’t there. I know about karma and know that if I ever miss anything of Hadley’s I can expect similar taunting, but a million times worse!
Droning It In
1 day ago



No comments:
Post a Comment