If you have known me for any length of time, you might be familiar with the fact that I have NEVER been a runner. I just hated the idea of getting out there and running for anything other than to get away from something. Even as my friends began running, I would say that’s awesome for you, but I am never going to start running. It wasn’t until two of my running friends got together and decided to start doing 5ks together, that I thought well maybe- just maybe I should consider it. The true kicker was when my friend Jill and her husband said they were going to start training. Since EVERYONE else was doing it, I didn’t want to be the loser that sat one out. Plus, we had a goal- we would all run in the Color Run on April 6th together- I work well with goals…Being the sheep that I was in this instance, I decided to use the Couch to 5k program that my friend Jill was using.
I’m not going to lie, it was awful, there were days I just hated it- especially the first time I had to run 3 straight minutes- are you kidding me? However, since all of us were in this together, I had tons of encouragement and support to stick with it- some days had it not been for that encouragement I would have quit! I finished the Couch to 5k program, but knew I had a ways to go. I wasn’t so great at running anything past 18-20 minutes; in fact most of my runs included a fast walk for several minutes. Honestly, even days before the Color Run, I wasn’t able to run an entire 5k without walking some.
I would lie if I said I was feeling super prepared to undertake the 5k. In fact, as it turned out I would be running with two girls that had completed half marathons, that’s 13 miles, y’all!! That scared the crap out of me. I constantly, was telling the girls they could go ahead of me, confident I would fall far behind them on the run.
Saturday morning, we all met up at a DART station and rode to Fair Park together, the whole way there; I was trying to pump myself up, because I wanted to do this. There were thousands of people all dressed and ready for the color run (it was cool to see all the leg warmers, tutus, and other variations of the white shirt and pants option people came up with), it was a bit hectic and were a little later than planned, but we made it and were in the FINAL heat of the morning.
As soon as we left the starting line, I told myself DO NOT STOP RUNNING, and I didn’t. I whizzed around several people, it made me feel good. I was able to keep up with, and in some instance lead my friends- and that made me feel awesome!!! It was pretty awesome to run though each station getting coated with a different color, seeing the color markers kept me motivated when I was feeling pretty tired. I couldn’t have run the whole thing by myself; it works for me to have running partners, someone to push me to keep going, by running in front of me…
We finished in 35 minutes, which means I averages about 11:30 minute miles, that is better than I did on most days training. I just have to say I am super proud of myself. I never really saw running a 5K as something I would even consider doing, but I am glad that I did AND I am ready to run another one- with “the clique” of course!
Droning It In
1 day ago




No comments:
Post a Comment